Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

November 19, 2012

Cilantro Lime Soup

My Aunt Melanie is my cooking inspiration. When I was little I would love to go to her house and try all of her delicious recipes (and delicious is an understatement--she is seriously up there with Rachel Ray, Jaime Oliver, Gordon Ramsey). All of my favorite food are things that she has made and I have tried A LOT of food! That is how good she is. My point amongst all my bragging is this delicious Cilantro Lime Soup is from her recipe box--so it is bound to be delicious.

My husband and I have a cute windowsill garden in our little apartment and we have TONS of cilantro! So I decided to use it in this soup and let me tell you homegrown cilantro is hands down better than any cilantro you will buy in the store. Oh! and random fact: Cilantro only smells after it was been harvested. I learned that when I was making this yummy soup. So enough of my blabbering and onto the recipe:



2 T. Olive oil
1 Small onion, chopped
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 T. Chili powder
2 Chicken Breast, skinless & boneless, cut in 1/2" pieces
5 C. Chicken Broth
1 C. Corn kernals
1 C. Chopped seeded tomatoes
1/2 bunch cilantro sprigs
1/4 C. Cilantro, chopped
1/2 C. Lime juice (about 5 limes)
Salt and Pepper
Sour cream (garnish)
Tortilla chips (garnish)


 Heat oil in large skillet. Add onion and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes. Add chili powder. Stir 1 minute. Add chicken. Stir 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, corn, tomatoes  and cilantro sprigs. Bring to a boil. Simmer until chicken is cooked (about 10 minutes).  Discard cooked cilantro. Add 1/4 C. chopped cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, cilantro.

Enjoy!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment